Monday, June 11, 2012

Chicken Fajita Pizza


Is there anything better than Mexican food?  Okay, maybe a good Italian dish.  But I have a BIG weak spot for Mexican inspired dishes.  This recipe caught my eye because it incorporates lime juice.  I have another recipe I’m going to be sharing soon that is a great lime marinade.  This pizza is big on flavor!  Definitely made it to my menu rotation going forward; this was so very good!

Chicken Fajita Pizza




·         1/4 cup lime juice
·         3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
·         2 garlic cloves, minced
·         1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, finely chopped
·         1 prebaked 12-inch pizza crust (I used the pizza mix where you just add water and I pressed the crust out as thin as possible)
·         1 jar (16 ounces) chunky salsa, drained (I used Market Pantry Corn and Black Bean Salsa)
·         1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
·         1/4 cup chopped green pepper
·         I also used a red pepper
·         1 green onion, chopped
·         1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
·         Sour cream, optional

·         In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the lime juice, 2 tablespoons oil and garlic. Add the chicken; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
·         Drain and discard marinade. In a large skillet, saute chicken in remaining oil until no longer pink. (I didn’t use the last T of oil, I only used the 2 for marinade)
·         Steps above, I totally did this wrong but it worked fine, I cooked the chicken first and then marinade it.  Then I sautéed it for a few minutes after it had marinated. Whoops! Still turned out amazing!
·         Place crust on an ungreased 14-in. pizza pan; spread with salsa to within 1/2 in. of edges. Layer with chicken, peppers, onion and cheese. (since my pizza crust was not precooked, I had to bake it first for 10 min before adding toppings)
·         Bake at 450° for 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream if desired. Yield: 6 slices.


Speaking of Mexican food… can I just say I’m really happy that Taco Bell in West Des Moines has reopened!  They closed for a short time while they were building their new store and I just wasn’t sure if I was going to make it much longer without my late night Taco Bell fix!  

Another side note on Mexican food, we are heading to Vegas this week, WHOO HOO!!  My favorite favorite favorite place ever!  Number one priority when we land is conquering the burrito challenge again!  What is more entertaining than watching 4 guys scarf down a 5 lb burrito in record time?  Bring it on!  

No comments:

Post a Comment