Saturday, January 12, 2013

Banana Oatmeal Muffins

To continue on with some more healthy successful recipes in the new year, I came across on Pinterest Banana Oatmeal Muffins.  The pros... gluten free, make in a blender (fun! and easy to pour right from the blender), and 93 cals per muffin.  The cons... I could eat like 10 at a time.  I made a double batch and froze the second batch to pull out next month.  Great addition to have with my oatmeal or yogurt in the mornings, I just pop one of these muffins in the microwave for 15 seconds and WHA LA! a warm treat to add with breakfast.  

Easy peasy, just blend it up!

Wouldn't even know they are gluten free!
Ingredients
*2 /1/2 cup oats (old fashioned kind, not quick cooking)
*1 single serving cup (or 1 cup) of plain low fat greek yogurt
*2 eggs
*3/4 cup sweetener of choice, I used the real stuff: sugar!
*1 1/2 tsp baking powder
*1/2 tsp baking soda
*2 bananas 

Important: The paper liners don't work well when baking with a base that does not include flour, they always seem to stick to the paper. I sprayed the muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray or you can use foil cupcake liners or a silicone muffin pan.

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray tin with non-stick cooking spray or line 12 muffin tins with silicone or foil liners, (or just use a silicone muffin pan).
2. Place all of the ingredients, including bananas in a blender or food processor, and blend until oats are smooth. *Important: I add the oats a cup at a time and then add the liquids. I have to stop the blender and stir a few times throughout as well. 
3. Divide batter among cupcake liners, and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.

1 comment: