Sunday, April 7, 2013

Tomato-Basil Chicken Rollups

This past weekend, we attended the Taylor/Lewis wedding.  Lauren is a good friend of mine from college, the last year of college I think we were out and about pretty much every Thursday, Friday and Saturday together.  We've had some really good times, now she lives in Minneapolis and for the last few years, they have been a part of our New Year's Eve group as well as her and Ben come to Des Moines and stays with us on occasion throughout the year.  Her husband Ben is a great guy and makes a great match for her.  Congrats to them!
The beautiful bride 
At the wedding, there were several flavors of wedding cake, the lemon flavor was intriguing to me and OMGosh was it good!  I had Aaron go back up and sneak me another piece.  Oh do I now have lemon cake on my mind, I would expect you will see a posting on that in the near future as I've gots to get me some of that recipe!  Aaron kept trying to snag bites of mine and I finally barked at him to go get his own, I was being protective of that second piece of lemon deliciousness!

While at the wedding, I knew I knew one of the bridesmaids but was unsure how.  We finally figured it out.  I told her that I remember meeting up with Lauren one night for dinner a few years ago and she had dined with us also.  She then goes, yes I do remember you, you were the girl with the coupon!  LOL, love it!  I'm known as 'the girl with the coupon', darn right/proud of it, I freaking love coupons! 

Other than attending the wedding, we've been just doing the usual weekend agenda... clean, laundry, grocery shop, dog park, catching up on some reading, cooking, stuffing our faces with food, etc.  Life as usual at the Hyde household! 

Today I spent some time in the kitchen whipping up some meals for this week.  Tonight's menu... Tomato-Basil Chicken Rollups.   I was really hoping to grill out this weekend but gosh darn wind and chances of rain blows my dinner ideas but this is a fun twist on baked chicken.  And holy cats, this was good!  It was yummers in our tummers.

Filling the chicken and rolling them up, it's that easy

Make ahead dinners are the best, was all ready to go by early afternoon and just had to pop these in the oven
Well hello lil' stuffed filled chicky's! 

This was amazing!  Taste seriously gourmet, I can't help but boast on this dish!    

Ingredients:

4 oz cream cheese
2 green onions, finely chopped
6 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
1 pkg of Kraft Italian 5 cheese, shredded
8 small boneless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/4 inch thickness
1 jar spaghetti sauce 

Heat oven 400 degrees.  Mix cream cheese, onion, 2 Tbsp basil and 1/2 cup shredded cheese.  Shape into 8 logs (I used saran wrap to roll the mixture and then cut into sections).  Place one log onto the chicken and smooth out mixture and roll up chicken.  Tucking chicken around filling and placing seam down on a 13x9 inch backing dish sprayed with cooking spray.  Top with spaghetti sauce.  Bake 30 min or until chicken is done, top with remaining cheese and bake for a few more minutes to melt.  Top with remaining basil. 

No comments:

Post a Comment