Friday, April 17, 2015

8 Tips For A Successful Kid Photo Shoot

       

        Have a good photographer.  The reality is my tips I’m about to give only contribute a very small sliver of what it takes to have a successful photo shoot, it’s really the photographer that all the credit is given to.   We are extremely fortunate to have a very talented photographer who also happens to be one of my best friends!  Being she is such a good friend, we are super comfortable around her and it makes for an easy going photo shoot.  If you don’t have a photographer, my tip is to find one you are comfortable being yourself around, the shoot should flow comfortably and easily from there.


       Have a GAME PLAN!  I know Annie’s 1st nap of the day is very dependable and I can rely on it.  I know her afternoon nap is a little shakier. Therefore I opt for the late/mid-morning photo session when she seems the happiest as well.  We timed this last one so that she would wake up 30 minutes beforehand and the other big tip is to have a well fed baby.  We gave her a few minutes to wake up, then we fed her, and I’m not talking just a snack, we fed her to the point where she would be plenty full.  A full, well rested baby is crucial for a successful shoot.


       2 outfit changes max!  I’ve done 3 outfits on Annie before, I would not recommend it, it’s too much work.  I do like having an outfit change in our session though to add a little diversity in your pictures.   Parents – 1 outfit for you, if you need to mix it up, throw layers on/off.   Make sure you have enough color coordination but not too ‘matchy-matchy’.  


      Bring ideas!  I always come with all my Pinterest favorites printed out for quick reference.   It will keep the shoot moving along quicker too, with a baby, you just never know how long their cooperation will last!  

       Have snacks.  This was a great idea my photographer suggested.  You can’t see the Puffs or Cheerios in their mouths while shooting and it keeps them a little more content.  When Annie started to finicky, snacks did the trick!

      Know how to make your baby smile.  I’ve really struggled with this one in the past!  What works for your baby several weeks ago, may not work the day of.  I reserved figuring out what will make Annie laugh a few days before the shoot.  I tried buying this contraption in the Target dollar aisle that had a long arm to it thinking I would be able to tickle her with it/amuse her.  I got home and tried it on her and right away she grabbed it and wanted it and played tug-a-war with it until I gave it to her.  #1stFail!  Then I went and bought a birthday noise maker, you know … the kind where you blow in them and the paper unrolls out.  Annie hated it, made her cry!  #2ndFail.  Then I just started doing funny things until I got a reaction out of her.  I found that if I puffed my cheeks out and then use my hands to ‘pop’ them or blow the air out, she would roll in laughter.  I was careful not to wear this trick out before the photo shoot by doing it too much beforehand.  On the day of, it worked like a charm!  Giggles and smiles galore each time I puffed my cheeks out and popped them.  This is why you have to be comfortable around your photographer because you will do some real idiotic, crazy things to make your child laugh!  Another thing that has somewhat worked for us is during a family picture, giving her a little belly tickle while holding her will bring on the smiles too.


      Have a pep talk with your husband.  Yes, we must address this ladies.  Before the photo shoot, I go over my Pinterest ideas and my game plan.  That way he knows what is expected and we are on the ‘same page’.  I also make sure to remind him of how important these pictures are to me and to work with me, not against me during the shoot.  I know for men, pictures can be painful.  But luckily, for his own good, he knows having a very mad wife is more painful.  And I just gently remind him of this about an hour beforehand.  


      Lastly, these are moments that are meant to be captured.  Thru all the stress, prep work, time involved… when you see those pictures for either the first time, or the 100th time, you will constantly be reminded of how precious and priceless they really are.  It’s something that you really shouldn’t by pass!  This picture right here... melts my heart every.single.time..... 



1 comment:

  1. Love these tips! I don't think there are enough pep talks that could work on Craig. :)

    ReplyDelete