Sunday, August 2, 2015

A Weekend of Life Lessons {Learning the Hard Way}

Last weekend, we decided to put our house on the market (which is blog post on its own soon).  Given there was a lot to do around the house, we decided it may be best for Annie and I to visit my family back in my hometown and leave Aaron to get some things done, because frankly, trying to get anything done on the weekend and keep a tidy house with Annie there is nearly impossible.
  
This would be the first time Annie and I would be traveling without Aaron and so I needed to learn to put up the Pack N Play for Annie to sleep in.  Thursday night, I spent about an hour trying to put it up and take it down.  Who knew that darn thing could be so difficult?!  Aaron kept showing me how to do it and each time I couldn’t get it to pop into place or I could get it all broke down but one side.  I was a little concerned how it would go over the weekend trying to put it up and down myself but come to find out, that little life lesson was the least of my troubles.
  
We left Friday night near Annie’s bedtime so that she could just fall asleep in the car as it’s still disastrous traveling in the car with her, she hates car rides and usually cries all the way thru them but when we plan it around her sleep schedule, she usually falls asleep fine in the car.  As I was hoping, she fell asleep on the way there.  When we were about 30 minutes outside of town, my gas light came on.  Darn it!  Life lesson #2, pay more attention before leaving at how much gas I have left.  Aaron always fills up my tank on Sundays and given it was a Friday, I was almost empty.  I’ve become way too reliant on him filling my car up that I rarely put gas in myself so it’s something I just don’t pay much attention to.
 
I debated if I’ll make it to Fairfield or not but decided that being as late as it was and traveling with Annie, it would be really bad if I ran out of gas.  So I pulled over at the next gas station and I was hurrying as fast as I could, I didn’t want to wake Annie so I grabbed the pump, slide my credit card and stopped at $20 thinking that would do for now.   I kept peaking in on her as I was antsy for my receipt that never printed.  Annoyed now that I have no idea if I actually paid for my gas or not, I had to go into the station so I ran in quickly, found out that I choose a pump that the card reader wasn’t working (of course I did) and hurried back out back to my car.  Nothing like leaving your sleeping baby in the car all by herself, terrified a cop would pull up and arrest me for bad parenting!

Back on the road, we were set, we were only 20ish minutes outside of town and Annie was still fast asleep.  About 5 minutes of being back on the road, my car started to make this catching/pull that I could feel ever so slightly.  I thought, hmmm that’s strange.  And then as we get closer, it kept happening more frequently and I knew something wasn’t right.  As we are only miles outside of town, my car completely lost power and I am barely moving on the highway.  I pull off to the shoulder, with my foot all the way on the gas, going about 10 miles per hour.  I barely make it to my Grandparent’s place and my Grandpa is standing outside waiting for me.  I get out of the car and tell him something is seriously wrong with my car and that I think I put bad gas in it.
 
I hurry, grab the Pack N Play, get it set up with little issues, get Annie transferred then grab my gas receipt and called the gas station to ask what kind of gas is the $2.59/gal.  Clerk’s response: DIESEL.   My response: OH S@$T!  Yes folks, I put $20 worth of diesel in my VW Tiguan.  It’s getting late, there is nothing I can do about it at this point.  I call my Dad and call Aaron, there responses were practically identical “You did WHAT?!”  Yep, I sure did.

Saturday morning rolls around, I call every mechanic in Fairfield and it’s just my luck that there is not one open shop in town on the weekends.  Are you kidding me?!  Not a one.  So Grandpa and I run out to try to problem solve this situation ourselves.  We purchase a small gas can and fill it up with premium gas in hopes of diluting the diesel.  Came back and ended up with half the gas on the garage floor, half in my car’s tank.  What freaking mess trying to get it to pour right, cheap Wal-Mart gas can!  My car won’t even start.  After a good hour of problem solving in 90 degree heat with a garage that has a strong smell of gas fumes, we give up. 

After grabbing a quick lunch, I told my Grandpa that we have to figure out how to get the car seat out of my car and into theirs.  Next life lesson: installing a car seat.  Well more like life lesson on how to uninstall first.  We watched numerous YouTube videos, we called Aaron and he tried to talk us thru it on speaker phone, 30+ minutes later we got it out.  Then to install took FOREVER!  We thought we had it in right then I gave it a tug and it literally pushed completely over on its side, obviously not strapped down correctly.   Then when we decided to go with the seat belt method and during all this we messed with Annie’s straps and then had the seat’s harness straps too tight and couldn’t figure out how to loosen them.  90 degree day, no breeze, gas fumes are strong, working in a hot car.  Both my Grandpa and I were a mess!  2 hours later, we had a car seat installed.  By this point my Mom was super impatient and dying to see Annie so I wiped my face off with a cold wash cloth, hurried to get Annie ready to go, loaded up and headed out to my parents. 


Exhausted, we arrived and I was making phone calls to get my car towed.  90 minutes later, I finally had my car towed.   Too many life lessons were learned that weekend but I am beyond thankful that we made it to my hometown safely and Annie and were not stranded in the middle of the country.  As well as the fact that my car was totally fixable and actually didn’t cost me that much and we were able to drive back down Monday to get it.  Life lessons can be learned the hard way, and the hard way I certainly did learn!  In a weekend’s time, I can now set up/take down a Pack N Play (don’t laugh, that’s a big feat for me!), install a car seat and know to pay attention at the gas pump.   Good grief! 

No comments:

Post a Comment