Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Fav Five Pregnancy Must Haves

I had intended on doing one of these posts during my 1st pregnancy but it just never happened.  My favorites this pregnancy still are my favorites from my 1st pregnancy so here are my Fav Fives!

1) A Pill Case
Nothing fancy about this one but it might be the most important pregnancy item I have.  I cannot stress the importance of taking a prenatal vitamin.  After I had my scare with Baby C’s possibility of having an open tube defect, the little I did Google on it, I found that Mothers can prevent open tube defects by as much as 70% just by taking a prenatal vitamin!!  Although my doctor’s say there is nothing I could have done or changed to prevent my elevated AFP, I’m feel a great degree of certainty that taking my prenatals may have protected Baby C from my AFP levels.  Did you know that if you are considering pregnancy, you should start taking a prenatal vitamin before becoming pregnant?  I did with both of my pregnancies.  Because life is chaotic {2 year old tantrums, I’m talking about you!} having a pill case for my prenatals helps me to remember to take it daily.  On top of that, this time around I set an alarm on my cell phone to go off at 6 pm every night to take my prenatal.  Between the pill case and my scheduled alarm, I hardly ever miss my prenatal pill.  It’s so important you guys and by far the cheapest pregnancy tip I can give you!  This is the prenatal pill I take.  It's important to take one with DHA in it.

2) A Good Pair of Maternity Jeans

I caved early in my last pregnancy and splurged on a really good pair of maternity jeans per one of my friend’s advice.  I bought a pair of 7 for Mankind Jeggings for the ridiculous price of $250.  I had serious hesitations about spending that much money on a pair of jeans that I would only wear for 9 months but turned out to be the best purchase I ever made.  Gaining weight makes me self-conscious, I am my own worst critic but having a pair of jeans that made me feel good in helped out a lot with both pregnancies and this particular pair was super comfortable.  This brand washed up well and wore well thru both of my pregnancies from when I just showing clear up to the last day of pregnancy.  I had bought some cheaper Jessica Simpson maternity jeans for $40 and they just don’t compare.  There is something to be said about finding a really good pair of maternity jeans that you love and feel good in; whether they are a reasonable $40 or an outrageous $250… they are worth the splurge.

3) Snoogle Pillow

I HATE sleeping on my side.  I cannot wait to be able to sleep on my back again.  Having a Snoogle pillow helps out with that dreadful side sleeping.  My first pregnancy I drove Aaron nuts with building a pillow fortress all around me. “Where am I to sleep?” my husband said, um, don’t care… you don’t have to deal with restless nights like I do!  I even was told by the hospital that I had every extra pillow they had and refused to give me any more {liars!}.  This pregnancy I’ve tried to keep my pillow obsession in check, I use the Snoogle to support my back and then a smaller pillow that I wedge under my tummy.  I saw they have a much improved Snoogle on the market now, by the time I saw this new and improved Snoogle, I was too far along in pregnancy to make it worth buying it but if I had to do it again, I would suggest this one instead of the one I have.

4) Soma Nursing Bras
Note: this is NOT me pictured, I couldn't find a plain picture without a model in it
As your tummy grows, everything else tends to grow too.  I wanted a bra in my 1st pregnancy that I could continue to wear during nursing.  Soma has bras that are extremely comfortable and perfect for nursing.  I think it’s really hard to find a bra with the proper support but yet comfortable, well this one does amazingly well at both!  Now if someone could just figure out maternity underwear, I had the worst time this pregnancy finding comfortable underwear and never did have any luck in this department. 

5) Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Massage Cream

I have successfully avoided stretch marks in both of my pregnancies, thanks to Palmer’s lotions.  I have tried several different kinds of Palmer’s and I personally prefer the cream over the lotion, I like the fact that it goes on thicker and maybe it’s a mental thing but I think the thicker the better at preventing stretch marks.  At the beginning of this pregnancy I also coupled the cream with Palmer’s Massage Oil.  I oil’d up and then put the cream over top.  I never used any of the fancier higher priced brands on the market but felt like Palmer’s does the job just fine.


There you have it!  A simple top 5 of my fav pregnancy things that held true thru both of my pregnancies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment