Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Claire's 1st Birthday Party (+Annie's 3rd)

I’m way behind on my post for Claire’s first birthday party!  We ended up celebrating the day after her actual birthday.  We had close family and some close friends over to celebrate on a late Saturday morning.  If you recall, I also planned to have Annie’s 3rd birthday to coincide with this celebration which worked out well.  We are at the age where I feel like I can get away with combined birthdays.  Next year we will probably put the focus on Annie’s birthday and tuck Claire’s celebration into Annie’s day.  It won’t be long before they will each want their own and not a shared celebration so taking advantage of it while it doesn’t matter in their little worlds.


We were able to get Claire down for a short nap before the birthday party which worked out well to have a happy rather than cranky 1 year old.  Everyone enjoyed seeing her walk for the first time and take note to how much she has grown.  

Annie was full of energy and running around with her cousin Elijah and friend Alaina.  At this age, their little personalities can take a turn at any given moment so I wanted to keep the party festivities moving along quickly so that we had them out of the way and we could all just socialize.  So we started right away with singing Annie Happy Birthday and she ended up with purple frosted cupcakes for the party.  She is obsessed with the color purple nowadays.  And sugar.  So win-win. 

Annie is so funny.  I know how much she LOVES being celebrated.  But when the birthday song is being sung to her, she takes it so seriously and the look on her face seems so business.  Check out the video to see what I mean…

After this, we got right to gift opening.  My least favorite part because the kids are just nuts and the chaos always sends my anxiety sky high.  I really need to figure out how to make this better in the future.  Annie was in my face asking to open more and more gifts and she was ripping thru them so fast and I was trying to focus on helping Claire open hers and I felt like it just becomes a whirlwind and then I am not 100% sure what came from who in the end.  I think next year we will have one kid open at a time for my sanity and keep the other kid contained on someone’s lap.  I can only handle one kid going gift opening nuts at a time.  The girls received all sorts of fun stuff that they are loving to play with.



After gift opening, we got Claire ready for her smash cake.  Just like Annie 1st birthday, she had zero interest in the cake; a few tastes and she was done.  I was okay with it because I really didn’t care for the mess and we had already gotten good pictures the weekend before during her 1 year old shoot.  So the cake smash was uneventful.

After this, the kids played and when everyone left, the girls napped so well.  I like to be cleaning up while I’m visiting.  It’s probably not the best thing to do but then when everyone leaves, it’s peace and quiet time for me too so that afternoon was the perfect down time for all.

For Annie’s 1st birthday I had hand-made most of her decorations and went to a lot more work than I did for Claire’s.  I thought about reusing them but Claire gets so many hand-me downs in life that I decided she needed her own party décor.  I ended up buying most all of our decorations on Amazon and it was definitely the route to go. 




All in all we had a great 1st birthday celebration for our sweet Claire McKenna.  Everyone was able to make it and we got some good pictures of everyone with her for her baby book.  Speaking of baby book, I worked furiously to get it filled out leading up to her party.  I had actually done a pretty good job of keeping up with it until around 10 months and she had a lot of firsts in those few missed months but I was able to get both the girl’s baby books updated for the year.  It feels good to have that done. 





No comments:

Post a Comment