Sunday, August 17, 2014

Lighten-Up BLT {Flatbread}

Let's talk food!!  Annie says "Mmkay!"  


This late summer season has some of my favorite foods…vine ripe tomatoes, fresh corn on the cob, juicy watermelon, flavorful peaches, just to name a few.  I like to pair my favorite summer foods together and one meal I especially love is BLTs with corn on the cob.  They just go together in my mind.  Every late July into August, that’s my go-to meal. 

But one thing I find time and time again is I get so full off the corn on the cob that eating a BLT sandwich on top of that, well it’s just a gut buster.   So I found a way to lighten up the BLT but still pack its seasonal freshness. 



Meet the BLT mini flatbread, eliminating all that extra bread that just fills you up.  And who isn’t looking for a way to shed a few carbs?!  This, my friends, is so pretty you could serve it for a tappas themed meal.  A thin warm flatbread, topped with guacamole, crumbled bacon, arugula, diced tomato and a smidgen of mayo and wah-lah!... you got a new take on the BLT. 

I would like to make a special call out to the arugula that is used in place of the ‘L’ on my BLT.  First off, I love arugula!  I’ve learned from various sources that iceberg lettuce really doesn’t give you any great benefits and you are better off eating a good leafy green packed with antioxidants such as spinach, arugula or kale.  So long are the days of buying a head of lettuce just to brown in the fridge in a few days, I’ve grown to prefer one of these good leafy greens instead.  Plus it’s just prettier, not only does arugula taste good but it looks fancy.  And I’m a sucker for anything fancy.

I was really torn on what flatbread option to use.  We don’t regularly eat flatbread.  We don’t eat much bread period.  I usually only have bread on hand for my pb sandwiches.  Aaron uses corn tortillas for about everything, that wasn’t going to cut it for me.  So I bought several to try but the one I ended up preferring was the Flatout Hungry Girl Foldit Flatbread.  It’s only 90 calories and I cut it in half so technically 45 cals.  Score.  This is the key for avoiding that gut busting feeling.  So GOOD you guys!  You gotta try this BLT sammy a-sap!  



Ingredients:
Flatout Hungry Girl Foldit Flatbread (or any flatbread of your choice!)
3 strips of cooked bacon (the crispier the better when it comes to BLTs)
1 tomato, diced
Guacamole or a mashed avocado
Arugula
Mayo

Cut the flatbread in half.  In a skillet warm up the flatbread on each side for a minute or so.  Remove from skillet.  Spread your avocado/gauc.  Tear your bacon up into bite size pieces and top.  Add your arugula.  Top with diced tomatoes.  A few dollops of mayo on top as desired.   


That’s it!  It’s that easy!  Your lighten up BLT awaits.  You’re welcome.  I can hardly talk about food without saying my punch line…it’s going to be yummers in your tummers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment