Sunday, March 17, 2013

A Waterproof Necessity!



Got a new toy this past weekend!


A new waterproof/shockproof camera, the Canon Powershot D20.  Pretty excited to have a new toy for our upcoming vacation to Cancun and trying to learn all the features the camera has and it's a lot to absorb.  I own another Canon Powershot (not waterproof) so at least most of the functions are the same so I am somewhat familiar with a lot of the settings.   I actually don't like my non-waterproof camera and have been considering getting a new one but after reading the manual, my problem might be lack of user knowledge.  :)

Why waterproof?  A few years ago I scored a free Kodak EasyShare Waterproof camera at Old Navy during a Black Friday deal.  I never felt the necessity of having a waterproof camera but after owning the Kodak, I used it ALL the time.  And I was impressed with this little camera.  But had a little problem... it's sitting somewhere in the bottom of the Des Moines River :(  LOST last year during 4th of July tubing.  Major bummer.  I was really hoping that Old Navy would do the same promotion again this past Black Friday because I'm the queen at getting every Black Friday deal but was not so lucky.

If you are looking for a very basic camera, the Kodak Easyshare was great.  Since I needed to buy one this go around, I decided to get one with a few more bells and whistles since I do use it a lot.  I researched this one on Consumer Reports and it was an overall highly rated camera, ranked 3rd.

People's reactions crack me up.  Quite a few people come up to me in the pool and see my camera hanging off my wrist bobbing in the water and people will grab my camera and say "Your camera was in the water!"  I calm them down saying it's okay... it's waterproof.  The reaction is comical.

All I need now is the accessory to add onto the camera to make it float so we don't have another sinking to the bottom of the river issue again, grrr.  I rarely lose anything so losing that original camera still bums me out but onto a newer/better version!  Lesson learned, there are floating accessories to prevent this, simple solution.

Can't wait to take it to the beach soon, let it sit in the sand, take it into the ocean or the pool, sit it next to our drinks, and be worry free about it getting ruined.  Hoping to share some great beach shots with it soon!

1 comment: