Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Vegas Bound! Well... for at least one of us it was!

And there I was.  Not in Vegas.  Not with my husband.  Miles apart.  At home.  Not where I expected I would be.  (Dang now that's an opener that makes you want to read on huh).

We were supposed to be in Vegas Sunday-Wednesday.  Aaron had a work conference and I was tagging along for fun days at the pool, black jack & roulette, and evening work dinners with the hubby.  Our flight was slated to leave Sunday morning at 6:20, arrive in Vegas at 9:30 am EST.  By 8:20 our flight still hadn’t taken off, supposedly ‘minor’ maintenance issue was needed on the plane; anything that takes 2+ hours is hardly minor to me.   Meanwhile in Des Moines, our connection in Denver was taking off.  Crap. Was not freaking out yet, I knew it was early morning and there would be other flights we could take.  Secured a later flight in Denver that had 2 seats left but by the time the representative went thru all the steps online, there was only one seat left.  From there we looked into other airlines and it turned into a 5- hour headache of ‘this option’ and ‘that option’ in which none were panning out, so I told Aaron to take that one seat and I would cancel and stay behind.  This work conference was important and I didn’t want him to miss it.

Thank goodness we had trip insurance!  I was able to cancel and get a full refund for my flight and the hotel.  Luckily there were a handful of other local brokers going on this trip so we were able to cancel our hotel and Aaron was able to split a room with another guy.   This fella was staying at the Cosmopolitan, which was a big upgrade from where we booked (the Monte Carlo).  I've walked thru the Cosmopolitian before, it's very very nice.  You could say lucky Aaron but he had jammed packed meetings and would hardly be at the hotel to enjoy it :(

Aaron didn’t get to Vegas until super late Sunday.  I was bummed for him, we had a fun Vegas-filled Sunday planned and it would have been nice for him to relax before all of his meetings.  It’s also a good thing we didn’t buy tickets to the Billboard Music Awards that was taking place Sunday at MGM Grand because we seriously considered going and looked into seats and prices.  Now that would have been a major bummer!

If there is anything I can say we learned from this is, trip insurance is important, it proved worth it.  We recently started buying trip insurance for our trips and will continue to do so!  Secondly, if there is issues with the plane, don’t wait around with calling the airline, we waited thinking we won’t overreact but honestly if we would have gotten on it right away, we could have still made the trip together and gotten there at a decent time (a rare moment, I always overreact!).  Oh well, I can hardly complain that I’m sitting on my couch and not in Vegas since we just got back from Cancun.  But it does suck to be missing the hubs and pick up Charley early just to pay for useless boarding.  But it could be worse, who am I to complain, ain’t worth getting my undies in a knot over! It is what it is, just one of those shucky darn moments when you think you are geared for Vegas but stuck in good ol’ Iowa!   Life is still good! 

No comments:

Post a Comment