Monday, April 7, 2014

Grilled Chicken Basil Wraps

  


Now since pregnancy is over (and I do NOT miss being pregnant at all!)  and starting to feel somewhat normal again, time for a recipe post!  I'll try to not inundate the blog with Annie all the time but at the same time, she consumes the majority of my days now so don't be surprised if that is all I have to blog about at times :)  But she is pretty blog worthy if you ask me!

During pregnancy, I really didn't have much of an appetite and rarely cooked.  And really still don't have much of an appetite.  I didn't have one particular craving, I always crave sweets so that hardly counts but I did eat lots of peanut butter sandwiches, cottage cheese and cinnamon toast crunch.  Well that's just not blog-worthy so last night Aaron and I made a REAL meal.  And it was good.  I got mine almost all gone before Annie woke up so I consider it a successful dinner all around.

I got this reciepe from a Pampered Chef email I get monthly.  I adapted it to what we had in the fridge and cupboards and worked with what we had.  So you will find the adapted recipe below, my notes in red for all my shortcuts and the link below to the actual real recipe if you want to follow it more exactly.

These Grilled Basil Chicken Wraps are delicious!  Anything with fresh basil is awesome.  Aaron wants to grow fresh basil this year and I'm down for it, as long as he does all the gardening work as I'm no gardener, it would save us a ton of money on fresh basil that's for sure.

We paired it with Target's Blue Corn Flax Seed Tortilla Chips. We've been eating these chips for years and can always be found in our cupboard, you really got to try these chips if you haven't!  They are the BEST!

Simply Balanced Blue Corn Tortilla Chips with Flax Seed from Target
Note: my picture was not as appetizing as this one so I copied this picture from the website 

Grilled Chicken & Garden-Fresh Basil Wraps

INGREDIENTS
4   boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 tbsp  canola oil
1 tbsp Mrs. Dash lemon/pepper  Rub
1 tbsp. dried basil spice
4 small vine-ripened tomatoes
1/4 tsp each salt and coarsely ground black pepper
4 oz whole milk mozzarella cheese
1 oz Parmesan cheese
1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves plus 6 large basil leaves, divided
2/3 cup light mayonnaise
1   garlic clove, peeled
3 flour tortillas
 Sliced red onions (optional)

DIRECTIONS
Brush chicken with oil, sprinkle with lemon/pepper rub and dried basil. Arrange chicken in skillet and cook.  Remove chicken; cool 5 minutes. Dice chicken into 1/2-in. pieces.  (Hyde way: have chicken frozen in freezer pre-cooked and sliced, dump in a pan, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle not measure the spices over top of chicken and warm thru in skillet, remove and strain excess oil in strainer).
Meanwhile, slice tomatoes.  Blot excess moisture from tomatoes with paper towels. Sprinkle tomato slices with salt and black pepper; set aside. Grate mozzarella cheese; set aside. Grate Parmesan cheese. Combine 1 cup of the basil, mayonnaise and garlic in a food processor; until basil is finely chopped. Combine basil mixture, Parmesan cheese and chicken in a bowl; stir to coat. (Hyde way: buy cheese pre-shredded.  Use grape/cherry tomatoes, slice in half.)
To assemble wraps, place three tomato slices widthwise over center of one tortilla, overlapping as necessary. Top with one-third of the chicken mixture; two basil leaves; three additional tomato slices; red onions, if using; and one-third of the mozzarella cheese. Fold in sides of tortilla and roll up tightly burrito style. Repeat two times for a total of three wraps.
Preheat grill pan over medium-low heat 5 minutes. Place wraps in pan; cook 3-4 minutes per side. Remove wraps from pan and serve.  (Hyde way: I don’t own a Panini press, I just warmed up a skillet and held down each side with a spatula for a few minutes and served.  I'd love to own a Panini Press though (this is a hint to the hubby since I know he reads my posts, love you honey!)

No comments:

Post a Comment