Monday, November 17, 2014

Chicago Shopping Trip 2014

A few weeks ago, Aaron and I celebrated our 5 year wedding anniversary by our ‘traditional’ November shopping trip to Chicago.  I’m not very traditional about anything but when it comes to shopping; I can be traditional about that! Annie stayed with my parents for the weekend and had lots of fun playing with Elijah, our nephew.

What I love about downtown Chicago is it requires no map.  Aaron and I know how to navigate our way around for the most part, we’ve been enough times that we aren’t too bad at getting around the city for being outta-towners. 

 We got in town late Friday, checked into Hotel Felix, which was our first time staying there and I give it 2 thumbs up!  Priced well, very clean, short walk to Michigan Ave, and the room was roomier than I was expecting.  We’d definitely stay there again.  The only downside I would say is the shower water pressure could have been better but it wasn’t terrible.   I’m not a fan of those ‘rain shower’ shower heads, I always feel like I have shampoo stuck in my hair that I can’t get out! 
Hotel Felix -- Lobby
As soon as we got checked in, it was 8:30/9pm, we were starving and headed down for our ‘traditional’ Gino’s East dinner.  Afterwards, it was frigid out and we were tired so we headed back to the hotel.  On the way to the hotel we found this French wine bar and popped in.  I’m amazed sometimes how I’m always learning something new about myself, on this trip; I came to realize that I don’t like French wines.  Long story short, looking back now to my wine drinking history, it makes complete sense!  I just never realized it before.  Good to know, I can cross off sipping wine in the countryside of France off my bucket list now. 


Saturday morning we got up at a decent time and set out for a full day of shopping.  We both had lists of things we were looking for and stores we wanted to hit and so we decided to split up to be the most efficient.  Aaron was on a mission to do some major shopping and shopping with him when he is looking to really do some buying is a painful experience for me.  When I shop, I’m terrible about trying on half the store but I can look in the mirror and can decide in a matter of 5 seconds if it’s something I’ll buy or not.   I can try on 15 outfits in like 5 minutes and walk out with what I need and on with my day.  When Aaron shops, he will try on a pair of pants, stand in front of the mirror for 5 minutes, comment on each little detail of the pants, turns around and looks at his backside for 5 minutes.  Then waits for the sales person to come in so he can compliment how much he likes the pants and then Aaron will go on this big long story to me…”The quality of these pants are amazing…” “There is something about having a good pair of pants”…”They are worth every penny, really they are”…”Look at the fit, the fit is amazing!”   And I’m like… “Okay, great, my patience is wearing, speed it up!!”  It’s painful when everything he tries on takes like 15-20 minutes per item.  He spent several hours just in 2 stores while in Chicago, it’s painstaking.  He is such a good shopper when waiting on me that I try to bite my tongue and just let him have his dressing room moment but it’s certainly an area where we differ.

Saturday night we wanted to eat at the Purple Pig, a restaurant I’ve wanted to try for a long time but we can’t seem to hit it when there isn’t a ridiculously long wait.  So we ended up heading over to Sienna Tavern and enjoyed our official anniversary dinner. 
This pic is too funny.  My 'look tired' long day of shopping pic backfired, someone had WAYYY too much coffee! 
On Sunday, I put Aaron in charge to find 3 good places for brunch to choose from.  He did some quick researching and we decided to go to Yolk.  It was really, really good!  I always worry about getting a greasy brunch, but this was not a greasy spoon diner at all.  I was very impressed and knocked the socks off the HardRock Hotel breakfast we had the day before.   


After brunch, we loaded up and headed over to the AuroraOutlet Mall, our favorite outlet that we hit every time we are in Chicago.  All in all, it was our biggest shopping haul we’ve ever had in Chicago.  I’m pretty sure neither one of us need to shop for ourselves for some time now!   Here is a sneak peak at some of my finds:

Big patterns sometimes are a bit overwhelming on me since I’m short, but this little number worked great with leggings and boots:

This raisin colored peacoat was just what my wardrobe was missing:

These cords are great with my brown boots and are way trendier than your typical cord:

I’m really into flannel shirts lately, great with jeans or my new cords:

Okay, so I didn’t need a new black winter coat but winter coats are the hardest thing for me to find, I can never find the proper fit.  My eyes were drawn to this coat and I made the mistake of trying it on before checking out the price tag.  And the storewide sale that day excluded outerwear… Drats! I hate paying full price for anything but it was too late; I’d already fallen in love with it:

I bought a pair of these jeans over the summer and they are my absolute favorite go-to jeans.  I wanted them in a darker wash but cringed at the thought of spending another $80 on them but just my luck, they were on SALE!

So I got this sweater but actually got it in that raisin color, which I’m in love with that color right now.  That color goes with both black or brown, it’s a win-win color.

A red sweater was on my shopping list.  For Annie’s 9 month pictures we are doing a Christmas colors and I needed something red to accent her little Burberry dress.  

I don’t have my Outlet finds here and don’t feel like taking pics of them all but I found a great pair of summer shoes, tweed pants, a skirt, a sweater and lots of great yoga pants (I was not having it with Lululemon’s prices downtown, $128 for yoga pants!?  Are ya outta your freakin’ mind?!  Thank you Under Armour Outlet for coming thru with $15 yoga pants.  I can justify paying a premium in some instances (i.e. my awesome black coat) but NOT for yoga pants).  Awesome finds for Annie at Baby Gap, paying hardly anything for 3 outfits for her.  Aaron got 2 pairs of Cole Haan shoes for 50% off…  We made out like a bandit at the Outlet, steals of deals!  Was a great way to end the trip! 

1 comment:

  1. Your dressing room description of Aaron is hilarious! Love seeing (and the links to) what you bought! So fun! And that Burberry dress.....oh my word. Can't wait to see those adorable pics!

    ReplyDelete