Friday, September 9, 2016

Belong Tour, Lincoln NE 2016

A few weekends ago, my friend Jackee and I attended the Belong Tour in Lincoln, NE.  Months prior, I stumbled across this event as I’m a huge Jen Hatmaker and Shawna Niequist fan and I think one of them posted something on Instagram about it that took me to the event's page.  Jen Hatmaker’s book For The Love may be one of my all-time favorites.  I also love her mother’s devotional Out of the Spin Cycle and she has a new book coming out next year {YAYness!}.  Shawna’s books Cold Tangerines and Bittersweet are similar to Jen’s writing style and her new book Present Over Perfect is on the New York Times Bestseller for the 4th week in a row now, it was just released over the summer and I can’t wait to read it.

So what is the Belong Tour?  It’s more than just seeing Jen and Shawna speak live, in short this is an excerpt from their website http://www.belongtour.com/:

BELONG is a Friday night – Saturday live event bringing women together in arenas across the country. Thousands of women will gather to hear remarkable communicators Jen Hatmaker, Shauna Niequist, Nichole Nordeman, Sharon Irving, Angela Davis, Patsy Clairmont hone in on how to live a fun, faith-filled, purposeful life.

There will be plenty of personal stories, music, laughter and maybe even some tears in this open space where women can connect to one another, to see and know each other, and carry each other’s burdens.

 I knew that my friend Jackee was a big Jen Hatmaker fan as well so sounded like the perfect girl’s weekend trip and was so glad she was down for it!

On Friday, we stopped along the way at the NEX Outlets in Omaha.  I had been telling Jackee my ‘mom game’ is way too strong and I needed some new clothes that didn’t scream ‘PTA ready.’  The weekend prior, I had gone to the Steven Tyler concert with another mom friend of mine and before she picked me up, I had gone thru 10+ outfit changes and felt like all I have for clothes anymore is wedding attire or mom attire, nothing in-between!  When my friend picked me up for that concert I was like dang you look smoking hot!  She had a super cute outfit, hair extensions in, fake lashes and heels.  Here I was in my semi-mom outfit, hair that hadn’t been washed in 2 days and flats.  My mom-game was way too strong!  So all weekend Jackee and I joked about how she needs to help me find some clothes that weren’t totally mom’d out.  We had fun at the outlet and both ended up with some good buys. It’s funny how we both have the same style, when we would walk in a store, we would both wander off but end up in the dressing rooms with the same stuff, even ended up buying the same shorts that weekend. #twinning.
    
Dinner in Lincoln 

After the outlet, we got into downtown Lincoln which I thought was a cute-sy college town.  Grabbed dinner and headed into our first night at the Belong Tour.   I felt like the first night was a little like a ‘meet and greet’ of all the speakers.  They each spoke for about 10-15 minutes and it was a good introductory for the weekend.  Nichole Nordeman gave a short concert, her music is so relaxing, I could listen to her all night!  She sang her popular song ‘Slow Down’ which I think we were all missing our babies at that point.

The next morning, we headed over to the venue and funny story… I walked in before Jackee and had a bottled water and a coffee in both hands, my purse had a package of nuts, a Lara Bar, a Fiber One Bar, and Mike and Ike’s sticking out of the back.  Jackee walks in right behind me and she had a package of M&Ms in her purse and the guy made her throw them away.  She was mad but I found it highly comical that I got in basically weighed down with food and she tries to sneak in one thing and got stopped.

The morning started off with Angela Davis, an Olympian and world champion track runner getting us on our feet for a workout.  Jackee and I were like “is she serious right now?!”  She had the entire arena working out and we were definitely starting to break a sweat.  Throughout the event, Angela would get us up on our feet and got our blood pumping, I didn’t expect I would be doing squats that weekend.

Patsy Clairmont spoke first, she is the cutest elderly lady!  And so funny!  She spoke about relationships, I don’t have great notes from her piece but she had some good stories about her and her husband and that lady had style!  She had these pearls on and sparkly TOMS, she was just pretty hip!

Jen Hatmaker spoke next and I really liked how she laid out her talk.  Basically her topic was on finding “your race” or what your gifts/calling in life is.  She made some good points that stuck with me such as identify the gifts I have not the gifts I want.   And don’t disregard any quality as a ‘throw away’ quality, sometimes our calling doesn’t have to be this big/huge thing in the eyes of the world.  My friend Jackee has her own photography business, she has already found her gift/calling.  For me, I am at ground zero.  I know what my strengths are and what I’m drawn to but I just haven’t pinpointed how it translates into my calling yet.  Jen gave some good tips to help me do some more thinking on that.  Overall Jen is exactly as I imagined her to be, I feel like we are pretty good friends, she just doesn’t know it.
Jen Hatmaker

Nichole Nordeman actually gave what seemed like the crowd’s favorite talk, she gave an analogy of junk in a garage and how we need to open our ‘garage doors’ so to speak or uncover some not so pretty things in our life that we need to come clean on.  We all got ‘em, right?!  It was a powerful talk and she spoke directly about what her secrets she had been keeping in her ‘garage’ and I thought it was very brave of her to talk so openly about some painful things in her life.  Definitely made her very relatable.
Nichole Nordeman

Angela Davis gave a short discussion on spending time in quietness each day.  I definitely need to work on that with 2 littles, I feel like I run non-stop from 6 am to 10 pm day in, day out with no time for stillness.

Shawna’s topic is similar to her new book on reclaiming your essential self.  The main talking points I had down were accepting and giving love, living a life full of love.  And when you say ‘yes’ to something, you are saying ‘no’ to something else, just the overall concept that ‘yes/no’ go together.  And we should say yes to good work and no to someone else work that only leaves us exhausted.  And to remember that love is never found in the hustle.  That last line may be my favorite and so true, right?!
Shawna Niequist
We were also treated to a special concert by JOHNNYSWIM and oh my word was that a huge highlight from the weekend for us!  The talent is indescribable!  They are a married couple with a sweet little boy and you know how sometimes in a couples’ band, there is one who is clearly more talented than the other?  Not with these 2, they both are amazing!!!  Can I just say they are gorgeous! Like your eyes are drawn to how beautiful they are as a couple.  Even Jen Hatmaker told them to go get some flaws because they just seem all around perfect! I loved hearing their stories between songs and why they wrote each song.  Jackee and I were in absolute awe of them, so much that I went home looked up the closest concert performing to us and we already have plans to go see them later this year.  Here is a video I took from the weekend: 

Both Jackee and I thought the event was really good, we both walked away with lots to talk about on the ride home and feeling refreshed and inspired.  And it was a great bonus to get to hang out with her, we haven’t done anything fun together in a long time!  We were college roomies, maids of honors in each other’s weddings and is certainly one of my best friends but living 2+ hours away from each other, it makes it hard to get together and when we do it’s normally for her to take pics of my kiddos and we usually have to catch up during our sessions.  So basically I make her work when we do hang out J.  So it was nice to have time where no work was involved and the men were being super hubbys, taking the kids for the weekend for us.
JohnnySwim
This was the first ever Belong Tour and we left with the impression that there will be an annual one in the forthcoming years, I’d highly recommend it and hope I can make 2017’s!   

No comments:

Post a Comment