Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Marriage Course

You may recall from a previous post that Aaron and I are taking a Marriage Course at our church for fun and good general advice. Next week is our last class; it has gone by pretty quickly. It has been similar to the format of our pre-marriage classes except I thought our pre-marriage classes had a better structure. Most of the current class is led by a video and I liked how our pre-marriage class was something different each week.

Overall it has been good to reemphasize topics that are key components of a good marriage. I don’t really feel like I learned anything much I didn’t already know and Aaron agreed but we do feel like it was good to just revisit some topics and hear testimonies from other couples on the video.

One good pointer from this class is to ask your spouse if there is something in particular you can pray for them this week. I guess it’s never crossed my mind to say hey honey what is something I can pray for you for the coming week? We just always say our prayers together in the evening before bed but we never really pray for each other that much. Makes sense to be inquisitive and to pray for our spouse’s needs and thought that was a good pointer we picked up from the class.

At times I feel like we goofed off a little much. At one of the classes Aaron pointed out that the guy on the video talks out of the side of his mouth and then I couldn’t help but notice and agree. So last night during our breakout session, I would talk to Aaron in a funny voice out of the side of my mouth. Then during the video when he would talk, I would move my mouth to the side and pretend to talk each time this guy would talk, it was humor to Aaron. Probably not the most mature thing to do… but we naturally are goofballs so we couldn’t help but do so.

All in all, if you have an opportunity to take a marriage building course or seminar, I highly recommend it; we found it to be fun and it initiated good conversation!

No comments:

Post a Comment