Monday, October 4, 2010

Honoring our Beloved Friend Chris

On September 28, 2010, we lost one of our best friends to a horrible cancer called Clear Cell Sarcoma. I have many memories of Chris but here are a few that come to mind.

• Halloween 2008! Aaron, Chris and I dressed up in 70s get up. We laughed so hard that night, definitely one of the best nights us 3 shared!

• Chris stayed the weekend on quite a few occasions. I loved it when I would get up and find Chris and Aaron immersed in conversation. They could sit on the couch and talk for hours in the mornings with no television on, just in deep conversation.

• Chris never forgot Aaron’s birthday. Many people tend to forget Aaron’s Bday given it is on New Year’s Day, but not Chris. He would even drive up, have dinner with us to celebrate and drive 2 hours back home that night.

• One night the 3 of us were out and Chris got Aaron so drunk. I was so mad, they both got an earful from me. We’ve been able to laugh pretty hard about that night on numerous occasions.

• The night before Aaron and I got married Chris was SO excited to give us our wedding gift that he pulled us aside and had us open it the night before. He bought us a Garmin and wanted to let us know that he didn’t buy the one on our registry because he wanted to get the BEST one, he then went on to tell us about all the features it had. He was so excited to give us a gift.

• I emailed Chris on several occasions to run some wedding planning info by him. I had emailed him this detailed list and timeline I was planning on mailing out to everyone, I wanted his opinion if this list was a little overboard and too much. Chris very candidly told me that I’m the bride and it is my day and everyone would be understanding.

• I emailed Chris when I was bored at work. A lot of times the email conversations would eventually make a wise crack at Aaron, in which Aaron was brought into the email chains. Those emails were pure comedy to read.

• A year ago from this week all the guys were at Aaron's bachelor party. No one knew, not even Chris that he either had cancer at that time or it was forthcoming.  He was healthy.

• I’ve never known anyone who owned as many solid black t-shirts as Chris did. That is all he ever wore.

• I got the privilege to sit and listen to all the memories Chris and Aaron had together in high school and as roommates in college.

• Aaron told Chris one day when walking to class that he would marry me someday. In the 4 years we dated, the only other person he told that to was his brother Eric.

• When we learned of Chris’s diagnosis I searched for an answer to make sense of why this would happen. I found the answer and shared it with Chris:

As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. His disciples asked him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?"  "Neither this man nor his parents sinned," said Jesus, "but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life." John 9:1-3.

• When Chris was hospitalized out in Boston, Aaron called him nearly every day he was out there because Aaron believed his phone calls were making Chris better. I believed it did too.

• We had a scare in May that Chris was rushed to the hospital. We happened to be in Chicago and got to the hospital as quick as possible. He was in a lot of pain but still endured.  He was such a fighter!

• We spent many weekends this summer visiting Chris in the hospital. One night in particular we got there late, around 6:30/7pm. We had such a great conversation that night. A very honest discussion about the cancer. He has always been so candid about his thoughts and feelings. Lots of laughter also, remembering great memories. Before we knew it, it was midnight, that night was so great!

• I thanked the Lord often that Chris grew stronger in his Faith and not resentful.

• When Chris passed away, Ashley emailed me and told me that Chris really admired our marriage. One thing he told her often was that when Chris and her got married, he wanted a marriage just like Aaron’s and mine. I already knew that, Chris never let an opportunity pass to tell someone how he felt about them.

• Chris sent Aaron a note earlier in the year, here is part of what Chris told Aaron:
"Please do me a favor and take time today to just be thankful for small things in your life. Go for a walk with your wife and just appreciate being able to walk, being pain free, and enjoying the fresh air and breathing deep. It's all very cliche but, from time to time, we all really do need to slow down and appreciate the very small things in life. They become so very precious."

Chris we never wanted this for you. We wanted you to fight this cancer and you did give it everything you had, never giving up. It would be only selfish of us to expect you to continue on with the pain you were enduring. The cancer may have won the battle against your body but it never won against your soul. I know without a doubt you are experiencing the joys of Heaven right now and are being reacquainted with your Mother in Heaven.  Love you Chris!

God saw you getting tired and a cure was not to be.  So, he put his arms around you & whispered "come with me". With tearful eyes, we watched you suffer. Although we love you dearly, we could not make you stay. A golden heart stopped beating, laying loving hands at rest....... God broke our hearts to prove, He only takes the BEST. – Unknown

Obituary:
http://hosting-tributes-24472.tributes.com/condolences/view_memories/89445966#1992920
Blog:
http://www.chrisrobertssarcoma.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. So sorry for your loss, Erin and Aaron. Sounds like he was a great guy and you will always cherish your memories with him. Thinking of you both!

    ReplyDelete