Monday, November 21, 2011

Thanksgiving Day Tips

I only have a few... as I'm not an experienced Thanksgiving Day preparer but I always have a small turkey meal for Aaron and I every year in which we just had this past weekend.  I'm just going to share a few tips that I feel are worthy of passing along!

Turkey seasoning - this year I tried a seasoning from my Taste of Home subscription (please get yourself a subscription of this!  It has CHANGED my life!)  It's a very easy rub, common ingredients you should already have in your pantry, and has a nice flavor that isn't overpowering. 

Brush raw turkey with olive oil (HYDE SHORTCUT - spray that bird with Pam!)
1 tsp. each of: minced garlic, seasoned salt, italian seasoning and pepper.  Rub all over the turkey.

Bread - I love bread at resturants but we don't eat bread at home.  Rarely do we even have a loaf of bread in our house.  But I decided to make a tube of bread and give it some flavor!  Unroll tube of dough, take a tub of Philladelphia Cooking Cream - Italian Herb and Cheese and spread over dough.  Take some Kraft shredded cheese and sprinkle over top.  Starting at one end, roll the dough back up and bake.  Now when you slice into it, it will have herbed cream cheese inside it.  FANCY PANTS!

Dessert - Pumpkin pie, pecan pie, cheesecake, blah, blah, blah.  I do love desserts but why not make something outside the norm that is easier but yet impressive!  Plus it's only 194 calories a serving!  Like it matters... by the time you get to dessert, you've consumed over 1,000 at that point anyways right?!?!  

Don't have a trifle?  Use a glass bowl. 

Really good with some post-dinner coffee

 PUMPKIN TRIFLE

Ingredients

  • 1 package (14-1/2 ounces) gingerbread cake mix (I recommend making two pkgs, I wish I would have!)
  • 1-1/4 cups water
  • 1 egg
  • 4 cups cold fat-free milk
  • 4 packages (1 ounce each) sugar-free instant butterscotch pudding mix (don't let this scare you, I'm not a big butterscotch person and was worried about this but it was not too much at all) 
  • 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I garnished the top with this as well)
  • 1/4 teaspoon each ground ginger, nutmeg and allspice (I didn't have any allspice and so I just omitted it)
  • 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed (I used two cartons and was glad that I did)

Directions

  • In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water and egg, beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into an ungreased 8-in. square baking pan.
  • Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. When completely cooled, crumble the cake. Set aside 1/4 cup crumbs for garnish.
  • In a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mixes for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Stir in pumpkin and spices until well blended.
  • In a trifle bowl or 3-1/2-qt. glass serving bowl, layer a fourth of the cake crumbs, half of the pumpkin mixture, a fourth of the cake crumbs and half of the whipped topping. Repeat layers. Garnish with reserved cake crumbs. Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving. Yield: 18 servings.
AND MY LAST AND MOST IMPORTANT TIP!!! REMEMBER TO BE THANKFUL THIS THANKSGIVING! :)   HAVE A WONDERFUL THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!

1 comment:

  1. Cute post! The dessert sounds yummy...might have to make it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete