Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A Rockin' 30th!

So Monday I turned the big 3-0! It really doesn’t faze me that much though, leaving my twenties and embarking on my thirties is not depressing at all. I don’t really feel 30 but I don’t feel like I’m 21 again either by no means. When we go back to UNI, we definitely feel much older than the college crowd that we see out. But I’d still like to think that I’m still considered pretty cool and hip by the youngins’!

This past weekend my parents and grandparents came up to celebrate my birthday and we had a great weekend! Saturday I shopped with my Mom and Grandma while the guys stayed back with Charley and watched football. For my bday I was looking for a new purse and found a few really awesome sweater/tops also. Successful shopping day at the mall!

After shopping we had dinner reservations at one of my favorite restaurants in town, Bonefish Grill. My chicken marsala was yummers and my Dad ordered swordfish and I was surprised by how much I liked his dish.


Aaron had ordered a whole tiramisu cake from another favorite restaurant of mine, Latin King as a surprise and my parents also surprised me by showing up with a tiramisu cake from my favorite hometown bakery Yummy’s. Holy Tiramisu!! Good thing I LOOOVEEE tiramisu! I’m determined not to let one piece go to waste.

My parents also came bearing two of the largest watermelons I have ever seen! Both grown in their own garden. Holy melons!

Almost half as tall as me!


The 2nd one was about a third the size of Aaron!

Fantastic bday weekend with my family! Aaron always does a great job of making my birthdays extra special, I scored a great husband who spoiled me especially this birthday! Thanks everyone for making this birthday extra special!

2 dozen roses from my wonderful husband!

Now a little humerous flashback… The key differences between the milestones of turning 30 versus 21…

• At 30 I’m more focused on having a nice relaxing dinner and being in bed well before midnight. When I turned 21, I hurried up and ate so I could go out with my friends and dance it up at the most popular college hot spot until 2 am.

• At 30, I have a lot of aches, pains and sports injuries when working out. At 21, I was pretty hard on my body and joints and bounced right back the next day with no pain. Now that part is depressing!

• At 30, I wear whatever I have in my closet to dinner; no special bday outfit was purchased. At 21, I bought an outfit specifically to wear for my birthday.

• At 30, I need to wake up the next day at a decent time (and did set an alarm) to get things done. At 21, I want to sleep the day away and order in food all day.

• At 30, I show up to work on my bday. At 21, I used a vacation day.

• I’m thinking this is my last bday party I’m going to do for a few years; celebrating 31-39 with just Aaron is okay with me. At 21, I was already thinking ahead to bigger and better birthday parties.

• At 30, ordering a drink with dinner isn’t even thought of as anything out of the ordinary. At 21, I ordered a drink with pride.

• At 30, I’m more into anti-aging creams and wrinkle reduction (yes I do have a few wrinkles). At 21, I swore off sun block and used acne creams.

• At 30, I'm home more often on a Saturday night and had no idea how funny SNL is and how I missed out on all those years of Saturday Night Live.  When I was 21, no way was I staying in on a Saturday night to watch something called SNL.

• And last but not least… At 21 I thought 30 was OLD, I now feel 30 is YOUNG!

No comments:

Post a Comment