Thursday, October 6, 2011

Saturday Morning Ambition

It's been awhile since I've posted a recipe.  I've been disappointed with a lot of recipes I've been trying.  They are turning out they way the should but I just either don't think it is anything great or don't even like it.  But I had a hot streak this past weekend and made a few recipes worth sharing!  I'll share one today and keep the other for a later blog post.

Saturday morning I got ambitious for breakfast and made gluten-free pumpkin pancakes and mini ham 'n' cheese frittatas and it was delicious!


Mini ham 'n' cheese frittatas - super easy recipe!  From my Taste of Home Magazine:


Divide 1/4 pound cubed cooked ham among 8 greased muffin cups; top with 1 C shredded cheddar.  Beat 6 eggs and 4 egg whites.  Add 3 Tbsp minced chives, 2 Tbsp milk, 1/4 tsp each salt & pepper.  Pour over cheese, bake at 375 degrees for 22-25 minutes. 

HYDE SHORTCUT: I used pre-packaged bacon bits instead of ham.  I added two extra eggs so I could fill all my pan.  Super easy, very yummy.  Only downfall was that the pan was a bear to clean afterwards and I had it greased well and it still was pretty glued on.  Suggestion: foil muffin cup holders might be worth trying.


Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pancakes, from my Easy Gluten-Free Baking Cookbook by Elizabeth Barbone (she has the most amazing gluten free recipes in this cookbook! I highly recommend it!)
Dry Ingredients:
1 1/2 C white rice flour
1/2 C cornstarch
2 Tbps packed dark brown sugar
1 Tbps baking powder
1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp xanthan gum (very important ingredient to make your gluten free recipes stick together and not fall apart, something I've learned over the past year!)

Wet Ingredients:
1 1/2 C milk
3/4 C pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
1 Large egg
2 Tbsp vegetable oil, plus more for griddle

In bowl, mix dry ingredients.  Add wet ingredients and blend into a batter.  Cook on a griddle like you would for a normal pancake (1-2 min per side). 

HYDE TIP: I transfer all my batter once mixed up into a 2 Cup Measuring Cup that has a lip for pouring and pour it onto my griddle from there, pouring from the bowl is frustrating and makes a mess, a little tip to make your cooking go smoother.

No comments:

Post a Comment