Monday, April 30, 2012

Day 5: Key West, Florida

We arrived at Key West for our last port of call. We went thru immigration and that was a breeze. Our planned excursion didn’t start until 11 am so we stumbled upon an ice cream shop and tried some key lime pie ice cream. That was the BEST ice cream ever and I’m not even big on key lime. Gotta have key lime in Key West, right?!




If you looked back over my posts, I cordinated all of our outfits so that if he was wearing pattern, I was wearing solid and vice versa, that is important to do when you are taking lots of pictures!  And is quite the task when you match outfits for a whole week and have multiple outfit changes in one day.  And you never want to make it look too matchy, then it looks too planned and frankly pretty silly.
Our excursion was a glass bottom boat tour and in my opinion it was a waste of time/money. Maybe part of my bad review is because they said the Atlantic was too choppy so we had to go to different reef then the one they normally go to and all we saw was a bunch of seaweed which was disappointing. I would have rather of done what our tablemates did, they rented motor scooters and did their own self tour of the island.


Moving on… after this tour, we were ready for lunch. We were looking for seafood and were recommended to Alonzo’s Oyster Bar. Aaron had a fried lobster sandwich and I had fried shrimp, very tasty! Aaron ordered a key lime mojito; I don’t generally like mojitos but this one was exceptionally good.


After lunch, we just walked Duval Street, which is where all the action is. Lots of shops and tons of bars; you could tell that this place turns into a big party at night. We loved the shops with the funny t-shirts, they were everywhere!




After having key lime ice cream and a key lime mojito, we were ready for the real deal, key lime pie. Although I really wasn’t craving it at this point, we still felt the urge to enjoy a piece. We should have just shared one piece because I did not care for it. I thought it was like biting into pure sugar. Way too sweet for my liking. The ice cream was by far the big winner.

We were realizing that we really couldn’t explore much further away from the ship as we were starting to run low on time at this point so we picked a bar to hang out at. Lots of ‘one man guitar singers’ at the bars during the day, you could tell the islanders were pretty chill and mellow type of folks.  I enjoyed the laid back vibe.




When we got back on the ship, we decide to relax by heading up to one of the lounges, order some wine and watch the sunset.  Which was actually quite peaceful, I can't remember the last time I watched the sunset... if ever really.

Notice that Aaron orders 2 mojitos at once to my one glass of wine, that crazy kid...










That night we did our usual dinner at 9 pm and said farewell to our tablemates. Afterwards, we went back to our room, packed up and hit the hay. I’ll have one more posting about the unplanned events we encountered on our trip home and just some overall thoughts of the cruise



No comments:

Post a Comment