Sunday, April 1, 2012

First Haircut

Well it happened. Charley got her first haircut! I was not looking forward to this but Aaron guilted me into it by saying it was animal abuse to make her wear a ‘parka’ of hair all summer long. I knew he was right; she needed some sort of haircut but was anxious as to how much was really necessary. She’s so stinkin’ cute as a big hairball but it was obvious when people started to ask if she was a sheepdog that it was time for a cut. Plus she was starting to noticeably shed quite a bit.
BEFORE: My baby!

I had a lot of concerns. Her hair is so soft, what if all the soft stuff is cut out and it grows in coarse? I didn’t want her to lose her ‘cuteness’ it was important she still had some fluff left. So the morning of, I was nervously walking her in and was talking with another customer who had a doodle herself. To make matters worse, she hollers out at me “Just make sure you don’t get Christopher! You WILL see skin!” What! Are you serious?!?! I wanted turn around and take her back home. But I didn’t. I spoke with the gal who was going to groom her and we went over everything. There happened to be another doodle there and I said, “That’s what I want her to look like.” And the lady goes, “They haven’t even started on her haircut yet.” Yikes, that’s not good. Yet I felt fairly comfortable when I left that I had made it very clear what I wanted and what I didn’t want.
BEFORE: I love her fuzzy loveable face

Well later on that day, I received a phone call saying her haircut was done and she was very well behaved for it. Then they said “She looks like a little adult now.” WHAT!?! A little adult?!? But she’s my puppy, I don’t want her to look like an adult! A little anxiety was building but decided well let’s just see what it looks like tonight.
BEFORE: Kisses!

BEFORE: My big teddy bear

BEFORE: Fluffy happiness

So Aaron went to pick her up. He actually didn’t even recognize Charley. I got home and needless to say… I freaked. My cute little puppy DID look like an adult. In fact, I thought she looked like an ‘old lady dog’. All her curls and waves are gone. Her 6 inches of fluffy goodness are now a mere half inch long. For whatever reason, they didn’t touch her tail so she has this sleek coat and a poofy tail. Such a generic haircut, not a doodle cut at all. Man, am I bummed. All that anxiety I had WAS for good reason.
AFTER: Woha, I can see face

AFTER: No fluff :(  Looks like an adult and not a baby

So I did some math… and her hair was 6 inches long prior to being trimmed. She is 8 months old. Her hair grows just under an inch a month. *Sigh* But by her first birthday party (yes, I did say PARTY), it should be filled in to the point of fluffiness again. On the plus side, what’s left of her hair is super soft still.

AFTER: She's probably happy she can see
AFTER: kinda more orney now she can see better

AFTER: kinda looks more poodle-like now
Lesson learned, I’m sitting thru the next haircut so I can keep a watchful eye on what's going on. Poor Charley! I’ll take shedding any day over this short cut but this look is completely shred free and she will be a lot cooler this summer.  I can't wait till her fluff grows in!!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds very familiar to Kinnick's first hair cutting experience, only Petsmart called and said "We're going to have to shave him because his hair's too matted down and tangly." :( I was nearly in tears! We have the funniest picture of him after his haircut...and laugh hysterically about it now! Nonetheless, we bought clippers and Craig has been cutting his hair ever since!

    ReplyDelete