Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Bathroom Update 3

So we've turned a corner in our project, I was right, nothing more could come out so we finally have new going in.  Our tub is in!!!  Contractor showed up Thursday and installed the new base boards, tub, surround and the necessary plumbing that was involved.  It looks fabulous!  Aaron also installed all the new drywall.  He spent a great deal of time mudding the drywall seams.  Now that's a different story....

Mudding became the most frustrating part of this past week.  Aaron was recommended to buy this 20 minute quick dry mud... BAD idea.  It dried up on him too quickly before he could get it all smoothed out nicely.  He gave up on that and went out to get the regular mud.  Which he was so frustrated after learning how much better it worked for him and how he felt like fixing the walls would be nearly impossible.  He put one layer of mud up, sanded it.  Then did a second layer, sanded the crap out of it.  Aaron spent hours upon hours which turned into days trying to get these walls smoothed. 

Well... the walls are far from perfect but at some point you just got to give up and move on and say it's good enough.  Also for the sake of Aaron's sanity.  He worked so hard, please do not give him any negative comments on the walls because it just about did him in.  Aaron mentioned texturizing the walls to make them look better and I was completely against that idea. 

Aaron also was able to lay down the cement board so the floor is all ready for tiling.

We are so ready to have this project done.  Since my last posting, this bathroom has consumed our lives.  Every night after work clear up till midnight at the latest and all day long during the weekend.  Let's just say the excitment of the project has worn off now... :)  And I'm very much ready to deep clean our house and for it to return to normalcy.  I can't even walk around my own house bare foot without my feet turning black.  And I'm cleaning every day and it's still not enough!

So in summary, this is what has been accomplished since last week: tub and surround installed, new dry wall installed, mudding walls and sanding them down (felt like an eternity), floor cement board cut to size and installed with, dropped off cast iron tub at a recycling center, several trips to Lowe's (it's getting to be fewer trips, that a relief!), dumpster dumping again, dinner and 2 margaritas on Champp's patio, primed the walls, painted the walls, me getting yelled at for being a sloppy painter (in which I can't really dispute this, it's true!) and a few silly arguments over who is stinking up our only usable bathroom. 

Well I'm sitting here, watching paint dry... literally!  It's a Tuesday night going on 9 pm and we got a second coat to do yet tonight!


Installing New Drywall


New Tub


New Tub Surround

Drywall - it's green because we bought the mildrew proof kind



New floor base board, realized I don't have a pic of the cement board over this and don't really feel like taking a pic and uploading it so the heck with it
 

Mudding.... oh man... let's please never have to do that again


Mud, Mud and more Mud


Sanding, look at all the dust!  What a mess it creates!


Primed Walls


Primed Walls


GREEN!


Love our green color we choose

 
In case you were wondering, yep I do work some.  But I have to dress the part in doing so.  That's a tape measurer on my pants, working gloves, goggles, and yes that is a beer in my coozie.  Okay I never use coozies but felt like it was part of the look.  If I could of gotten my pants a little lower so I could have showed some plumber's crack, I would have been all good to go for the job. 


2 comments:

  1. LOL...Shane and I both got a good laugh out of your last pic. Good work, girl! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, you are hilarious and your picture cracks me up! Way to go! =) The bathroom is looking good, by the way!

    ReplyDelete