Sunday, April 10, 2011

Recipe Sunday!

Got a few recipes to share!  First up was a request, here you go Jackee :)  I think they are good, the bananas gives the bars an unusual texture, kind of more like a cookie in some sense.  Aaron loved them!

Gluten-Free Oatmeal Chip Bars
(This recipe I found in my April/May 2011 Taste of Home Healthy Cooking Magazine -- love my cooking mag scripts!)

Ingredients:
1/2 C brown sugar
4 eggs
3-4 mash ripe bananas
1 C peanut butter
1/2 tsp salt
6 cups gluten-free old fashioned oats (Aaron prefers Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Oats, found in HyVee Health Market Section)
1 C gluten-free butterscotch chips
1 C semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:

In a large bowl, beat brown sugar and eggs until well blended.  Add bananas, peanut butter and salt until blended.  Stir in oats, butterscotch and chocolate chips.  Spread batter into a 15x10x1 in. baking pan coated with cooking spray.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until edges begin to brown.  Cool completely on a wire rack.  Cut into bars. 
(179 calories per bar, yield 3 dozen)

Next recipe is a follow up on the Philadelphia Cooking Creams, here is the review of these recipes I've tried and hope to give you some dinner ideas for tonight! :)

Chicken Broccoli and Potato Divan:
http://www.kraftbrands.com/philly/recipes/Pages/Recipe-Detail.aspx?recipeId=122155#category=817&subcategory=16202

This recipe is very good!  Delicious!  The potatoes remind me of au gratin potatoes which excited me because I've had troubles coming up with ideas on how to make au gratin potatoes gluten free and this recipe definitely fills that void.  Aaron loved it as well.  Very easy to make.  The only downfall is I'm pretty certain it is high in calories and it has a very strong taste to it, very rich cream sauce which of course equates to delicious!

Lemon Broccoli Rice with Chicken:
http://www.kraftbrands.com/philly/recipes/Pages/Recipe-Detail.aspx?recipeId=121724#category=817&subcategory=16202

We did not like this at all.  We thought it was very bland and not good.  It's still sitting in my fridge right now because it just kills me to throw away large amounts of food that is perfectly fine but this will probably end up in the trash.

Santa Fe Chicken Casserole:
http://www.kraftbrands.com/philly/recipes/Pages/Recipe-Detail.aspx?recipeId=121725#category=817&subcategory=16202 

In a previous blog post I had mentioned I had made the chicken enchiladas and we liked them but I had seen a very similar recipe that looked easier to make, well this casserole was it.  Okay this casserole was AMAZING! By far our favorite so far.  It didn't even taste that similar to the enchiladas which is strange because the recipe is so close to it.  Aaron and I thought right away this recipe is a big winner.  I'm changing the name of it though, it's Mexican Lasagna at the Hyde household.  The preparation of this is more like a lasagna than a casserole.  You have to try this one!!!!!! SO YUMMY!!!  This did not last long in our house, we were throwing elbows to eat the leftovers.

Tonight we are eating chicken taco salads, not from the philly cooking cream collection but a recipe I invented awhile ago.  If you can't tell we eat lots of Mexican inspired food!  

2 comments: