Thursday, April 21, 2011

WEEK 4 Bathroom Update

Bathroom update week 4! If all goes as planned, we will finish up this Saturday. But, as we’ve learned, rarely does all goes as planned so we will just hope for the best! Aaron is SO ready to be done. We took 2 days off of working on the bathroom because he really needed a break. So it would be very ideal to stay on track and get this completed by Saturday!

What has been accomplished this past week: painting touch ups, new fan/vent installed, tile cut and mortared to floor, new light fixture installed, tile grouted, 2 days off as a sanity check, 2 large pizzas ate, a service call to have our air ducts in our house cleaned, sealing the tile, a good hour of cleaning/organizing the garage since it was such a mess with this project, and only two very minor/quick trips to Lowe’s.  It's going on 10 pm on a Thursday night and Aaron is caulking in the bathroom and I'm taking it easy because I have a yucky head cold.

The floor tile is a 3 step process, mortar tile, grout and then seal. What a job! Each step requires 24 hours to set/dry. Well really I could get more technical and say it is far more than a 3 step process… cutting the perimeter tiles and around the toilet was quite a task too! A big thank you to Aaron’s client who let us borrow her tile cutter machine free of charge.

I am really happy with how things are looking. It’s hard to tell in the store how everything will come together but so far everything jives well. Did you know you can choose from a gazillion grout colors?  I would have never guessed that I would have had to actually put some thought into which grout would look the best.  Jeepers, so many details to think over!

You may be wondering how Aaron is learning how to do some of this stuff. Well it’s called YouTube.com folks! He has never owned a home improvement book; he learns most all of it on youtube.com.  Best resource ever! He watches several videos on the same topic and then tries his hand at it.

Wish us luck that we can get this done by end of day Saturday! We still have a sizable list of 'to-dos' yet...  I’ll keep you posted!

New vent, real exciting pic huh?! LOL!  Well the light fixture would have been more of an exciting picture but sorry folks, I forgot to take that pic and not going to bother with it right now

Mortar tile to cement board
 
I see London, I see France, I see Aaron's.... Oh man, and he puts up with me!  Here I am right behind him taunting him with my camera while he works.  


24 hours before we can grout


Nice spacing


And it is grouted and sealed


Don't ask me why he is caulking a tub that's selling point is that it requires no caulking, at this point I just let him do what he wants... it's not hurting anything so whatever... 

They call the tile color mocha, I dig it


No comments:

Post a Comment